View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 09:53 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimberly27 View Post
I think my biggest problem is I can't take one or two photos. One of the pages I just scrapped was all of the outtakes from a photo shoot to get a family photo. Our trip to visit family for the 4th of July was about a week long and I took close to 2000 pics (some are my mother in laws pics. She is a problem too in a good way. She travels with us on most of all of our trips so she takes pics plus my pics. I also get her pics when my boys stay with her over the summer )...now my youngest did turn 10 so that takes about 200 pics out of play LOL but still...Christmas don't get me started on the 400 or 500 pics and my kids are now 10 and 16! LOL
For years this was exactly my problem, or at least one of them! Finally in late 2018 I had to admit to myself that I was taking so many photos that dealing with them was stressing me out. I decided that I had to become a lot more intentional about my photo taking. My kids were tweens and teens and didn't want their pictures taken all the time, and even though I'd cut back before then to respect their wishes I was still taking more than they wanted and making up the difference with too many photos of scenery, younger relatives, etc.

Over the last few years I've worked hard at taking a few photos and then putting the camera away. (At least for a while, LOL.) I used to take photos throughout every event, and then I was overwhelmed when it came time to sort and scrap them. Now I try to put the camera away after a few photos (and by "few" I still mean 20+), even if it comes out again for round 2 an hour later. I still get enough photos to bring back the memories, but the photo subjects and I are all happier.

Another change I had to make was with other people's photos. We do a big family vacation with our extended family every year, and I've stopped letting my siblings give me ALL their photos. If they want to sort them and send me a handful of the best ones from each day, I'm all over that! But I don't need their hundreds of photos to add to all of mine.

Since I'm so behind on scrapping, I've only been working on 2019 since July, which means I'm just starting to reap the benefits of my "fewer and more intentional photos" strategy. Looking through what I have to work with for 2019, I will have fewer pages, but I don't feel like the quality of the photos I had to work with suffered. I have almost the same number of scrap-worthy photos and a lot fewer that will end up on the cutting room floor, so to speak.