View Single Post
Old 09-04-2020, 10:39 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

It is funny you would think with a tween and a teen they wouldn't want me taking photos but my oldest will take my phone and take pics if I stop or he is taking just as many as me. I think I have "trained" them over the years of my photo taking. They will stop and say hey mom take my pic, this will make a great photo or hey get in the photo mom. Stop here mom, let's get a pic. I have created monsters! LOL Now I do have events that have zero pics...ZERO! We went to DC in 2018 for a vaca. I took an extra camera for the youngest and he took pics, the oldest took pics and I included all those in the book...one of my faves BUT we drove from there to visit family for Thanksgiving. I took NO pics Thankgiving day...none! We had a ton of family over, kids running everywhere....It was great but no pics. I am okay with it though.
I am trying to get better with fewer pics...my MIL is always with us and I have her, my son upload pics bc I will put my camera away and let her or my son take pics while I enjoy the moment. It is nice having her photos (she doesn't take very many).
When my kids were tiny and would visit her in the summer I would get her photos and make her books for Christmas. I have several summer vacation books from her and my mom pics since they keep my kids for 2 or 3 weeks every summer.

I have decided looking back over photos though that past years will get done now with a double page of ALL soccer pics from 2008 instead of scrapping each soccer game/party etc...if I have a picture that I love I will highlight it but I will just group them all in one big page to get those years done. I like the idea of focusing on trips, big events etc. Scrapping is looking more manageable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
For years this was exactly my problem, or at least one of them! Finally in late 2018 I had to admit to myself that I was taking so many photos that dealing with them was stressing me out. I decided that I had to become a lot more intentional about my photo taking. My kids were tweens and teens and didn't want their pictures taken all the time, and even though I'd cut back before then to respect their wishes I was still taking more than they wanted and making up the difference with too many photos of scenery, younger relatives, etc.

Over the last few years I've worked hard at taking a few photos and then putting the camera away. (At least for a while, LOL.) I used to take photos throughout every event, and then I was overwhelmed when it came time to sort and scrap them. Now I try to put the camera away after a few photos (and by "few" I still mean 20+), even if it comes out again for round 2 an hour later. I still get enough photos to bring back the memories, but the photo subjects and I are all happier.

Another change I had to make was with other people's photos. We do a big family vacation with our extended family every year, and I've stopped letting my siblings give me ALL their photos. If they want to sort them and send me a handful of the best ones from each day, I'm all over that! But I don't need their hundreds of photos to add to all of mine.

Since I'm so behind on scrapping, I've only been working on 2019 since July, which means I'm just starting to reap the benefits of my "fewer and more intentional photos" strategy. Looking through what I have to work with for 2019, I will have fewer pages, but I don't feel like the quality of the photos I had to work with suffered. I have almost the same number of scrap-worthy photos and a lot fewer that will end up on the cutting room floor, so to speak.