View Single Post
Old 01-19-2019, 07:14 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Birthdays are a big deal on my side of the family. We have family dinner (almost) every Thursday night at my parents' house so we celebrate adult birthdays the closest Thursday to the actual day. My mom makes whatever your requested meal is & a cake. My birthday is next Saturday so next Thursday we're having pizza + homemade peppermint cheesecake with Oreo crust and chocolate ganache (hence why we're having pizza!). There are a few gifts + singing. There are only three grandchildren & two of them have bdays the first week in May so we have a full-blown bday party for the boys in May and my daughter in August. They get cake and singing and presents, too.

We haven't had friend bday parties for the kids yet. We keep moving and not having money. My son is now in preschool and 2 of the 8 boys in the class have had parties at SkyZone (indoor trampoline park) so I know my son wants to have his there, too. My daughter's is always the first week of school so it's a weird/busy time to have a party.

My traditions for my kids are buying them a special bday outfit (or at least a shirt) and taking their photo that morning. Treats are brought to school. If it's a weekend, they get to choose what we do that day & we go out to eat wherever they want for dinner. I do not make them another cake but we usually have cupcakes or brownies and sing and exchange gifts. I try to do a quick "photo shoot" sometime that day of the bday kid.

I do NOT cook on my bday (or Mothers' Day) and my husband refuses to cook any day so we'll end up either eating out twice next Saturday or having frozen food that can be baked or nuked.