View Single Post
Old 01-27-2019, 05:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfnelson2 View Post
Something I do with my kids is after they read any assigned reading material: they have to narrate and tell me what they read. If they don't, they get electronics taken away. This helps with reading comprehension and helps them remember the story better. It's like when you have a dream...you remember it 10 times better if you tell someone or write it down.

You can have your daughter do this after each section that you read. This way you can see what she gets out of it and see what she understands. If reading bigger portions makes the comprehension harder, then have her read one paragraph and narrate, then one page, then more pages. Build up on it. Show her how to narrate if she doesn't understand.

Cliff Notes on the book will probably help you help her.

Good luck!
I would never take her electronics away for something she can't understand. She might be in 9th grade, but her reading comprehension is lower grade elementary. I'm actually quite shocked her school is requiring her to read it, but it's mandatory for graduation.

We've been working on it and working through Spark Notes
https://www.sparknotes.com/lit/mocking/

It also helps that my oldest LOVED these books and knows everything about it. So she's been helping with the understanding and comprehension of the reading material. I just wish the teacher didn't require so much reading in a night's time because she's not keeping up and falling quickly behind Even with her IEP, she's still behind the reading schedule. But we are trying our best and that's all that I can ask for, especially since this will be the first book she's ever really read from front to back in her entire life!

This is a labor of love on all of our family members who have been lovingly helping her. Even if I read to her and then in a nutshell tell her what I just read with each paragprah, she still struggles to comprehend just those few sentences. It's hard when there's such a learning curve and I never went to school to teach/help with such a severe learning disability. You would think the school would help parents learn to help their students when they struggle so much.

You might have seen her artwork in my gallery. She's very artistic and lately we've been having her draw the paragraph. But sometimes she doesn't know to tell back what she just heard--which is her processing disorder, getting from her brain in to words or even sentences for her assignments. School is hard for her. My heart hurts knowing how smart she is, but can't get it out in voice or paper for the grade.