View Single Post
Old 04-22-2019, 11:38 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I have SUCH a tendency towards hoarding, but my husband is a "throw it away if you don't use it daily" kind of guy, and after having to get rid of stuff for 5 moves, I have seen the error of my hoarding ways. It's way too much work to keep stuff, even if it's out of the way.

I read Marie Kondo's book, The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up, and the idea of being surrounded by things that spark joy really spoke to me. While I'm no minimalist, I do a pretty good job of not buying things I don't need/have space for and of letting go of things that have no purpose in my life anymore. It feels really freeing to not be surrounded by stuff.

My grandmother, on the other hand, had to move to a new house (while keeping her old house) because of all of her stuff...like once she pulled out a church bulletin from the 60's out of a box in her living room. There literally was not room to live in her house because she can't bear to part with sentimental things. So I have a genetic disposition to hoarding and also a living reminder not to. : )