View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 11:40 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our garage was broken into twice, but never our home. The first time was right after our city was hit by a tornado. There was no damage to our house, but the whole area saw looting and someone walked off with a bicycle, a chain saw and a few small hand tools. We figured they must need them more than we do. The second time was at the same house. I had a cop come knock on my door to say that the neighbor called and said someone was looking in our windows. I was home alone with a small baby and it freaked me out pretty good! The garage door was standing wide open and the cops checked inside to be sure no one was in there before asking me to look and see if anything was missing. My husband's large Craftsman tool box was gone (one of the big tower ones) along with everything inside and many other tools. That is the same neighborhood where I went out to drive my husband to work early one morning (we only had one vehicle and I needed it that day) and a guy knocked on my window asking for a ride. He was obviously strung out. I was happy when we left that house behind.

We had an alarm system installed at our last house. Never an issue there though, and nothing was ever taken, even when the kids left things out by the curb.

Here we are so far out that no one would be driving by here unless they were intentionally going some place. The turn off to the lake is just down the road, but it is before our house so the only traffic that comes further down are people who live down here (total of 5 houses in the 2 miles past our house). I still lock the doors and vehicles, but don't worry about it much.