Thread: Dream Job
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2021, 07:11 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
I've already worked at my dream job and am now on my 2nd dream job.

I started out thinking I wanted to be a teacher, teaching young ladies (and gents if they wanted) to be clerical workers. Now this was in the days of needing shorthand and using typewriters. Electric typewriters were not in every office yet either! To get the certificate to teach in the office setting classroom (intensive office education in those days), you needed to have at least 2 years of actual work experience in an office. So I got a job in a hospital accounting office and found that I actually liked working in an office and working with numbers. Never did get that teaching certificate.

I switched jobs in the hospital which turned out to be a not so great move so I ended up leaving there and actually returning to my hometown. I spent 6 months covering a maternity leave at a business college and also did some substitute teaching. Finally determined teaching was not for me. My next 2 jobs were in a facility that made Army tanks for the government and when contracts are up, workers get let go. Due to seniority I ended up being one of them. I then spent some time in a hospital x-ray department. Working around sick people wasn't a good fit for me.

I ended up going back to school and got an Associate's in accounting since I was having a hard time finding another job. Yep, I did it backwards since I already had a Bachelor's! Enough credits from the Bachelor's transferred that I only had 1 year of classes to take. Just 6 weeks into starting school, I got a job in a CPA firm. They let me work around my classes for the first 2.5 months (finishing out the fall quarter) then in January I went full time at work and switched to night classes. My 1 year of classes ended up being 2 because of working full time and the schedule of when the classes were offered. But I graduated with honors.

A position as a staff accountant opened up in another office in the firm and they offered the position to me so I took it. I did enjoy the work for the most part except for tax season. I found I hated taxes because the ones I was doing were very complicated. After I left that job I got a job as an accounting clerk in a company right here in my hometown. I did accounts payable, inventory work and backed up the payroll clerk. In other words my dream job! The only aspect of the job I grew to hate was dealing with people on the telephone. During my time working there I was diagnosed with a hearing issue. I don't need hearing aids and I'm fine when talking with people face to face but I just don't hear well when using the phone (or in large crowds). I had planned to work until I was 65 but my Dad passed away when I was almost 61 and I got an inheritance that enabled me to retire early. I worked another year getting things set up both personally and professionally for that. I ended up being in that position for 16 years, the longest I had ever worked anywhere!

I'm now on my dream job of retirement which was a blessing during the year 2020. I also have now dealt with the dental issues I had for the last 7 to 8 years and can actually start doing some of the things I dream about during my retirement. Traveling in 2021 is on the top of the list.
I started out wanting to be a teacher too, but then I got in the class room and discovered that I was not suited to shape little minds. A mass of kids freaks me out! LOL

Numbers freak me out too. LOL So not a math person, so I really admire anyone who is. I was once told I am not a logical thinker, which is why math is hard for me. I was insulted at the time, but now I can acknowledge that I am more of an emotional and creative thinker than a logical one. LOL

I am not exactly dreaming about retirement, but I have to admit I am preparing for it. I want to be able to live comfortably in retirement so I am doing the things I need to do now to make that happen. I figure I will retire in about 12 years, and then think more about what I want to do while I am retired. To be honest, I am not good without something to do every day. I need structure or I get lost in the weeds, so I am going to have to plan that time of my life out in a way that I still have a purpose and something to drive me. Which is one reason I plan to keep designing.

What about you, how do you handle your daily retirement life? Do you have a plan for each day or do you just go with the flow. I know you are suppsed to relax and just enjoy the moments in retirement, but again that is not me. I don't really know how to just relax and let things happen. Like I said, I need structure. That is probably really weird, but I tend to be weird. LOL