Thread: Dream Job
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2021, 11:54 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
Will your son always require specialized care? I can only imagine the cost. My father needed special care round the clock, he was a quadriplegic by the end of his battle with MD, and the cost devastated my parent emotionally and financially, even though we provided all but 8 hours a day of it so we could work, which is why my mom ended up living with me. Healthcare of that kind is another soapbox item for me as well, since I know first hand what it can do to a family.
That must have been such a tough time for all of you! We definitely need better healthcare and supports here. Thankfully Ben doesn't require specialized care--medically he's healthy. He's just much less independent than his peers and can't stay home without an adult. His problem solving skills are terrible--if things don't go as expected, he freezes and does nothing or does the wrong thing and doesn't make adjustments when it isn't working. There are lots of less dramatic examples every day, but the big ones are things like not being able to trust him to leave the house If there were a fire or knowing that if he got hurt and needed medical attention he'd be likely to stay curled up where he fell if no one was around to help. He needs a companion to do things with who can also serve as babysitter, not skilled care. We're working toward him being able to stay home alone and I think we'll get there eventually, but it won't be when he's 18.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
Teaching is a great profession in most ways, but the financial rewards. My son taught kindergarten for a week as a sub and told me never again. His reasoning, "they're too little and they can't read or anything." LOL Seemed to forget it was his job to teach them to read. It's a shame really because little kids adore him.
LOL. I think every teacher has an age range that they think of as "their kids," and most of us don't want to work outside that range. You couldn't pay me enough to take a middle school or high school job!

Last edited by rach3975; 07-02-2021 at 12:07 AM.