View Single Post
Old 03-16-2013, 04:42 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

I don't think there was a time in my life that I haven't had a cat. We've had dozens over the years. We've had indoor cats and outdoor cats and those who were free to roam in and out as the wished. We've had 1 cat at a time up to 4 cats at a time. That's my personal limit. LOL

Right now we have 3 cats. Dot, our oldest, will be 14 in May. The other two, Baby and Peep, are 3.5 years old, part of the same litter. They were born to my DD's cat who came up missing about a year later. We still miss her!

Our cats are very independent. We can fill one of those food dispensers and go out of town for a week and they are just fine when we return other than having a full litter box. They don't require the kind of supervision and care that a dog does, for sure. Dot is old, grumpy and opinionated. However, she's always been opinionated. She is the kind of cat that will look you in the face and jump up on the stove to snatch something from the skillet. I don't appreciate that part of her personality but we've learned to keep an eye on her. She is our nature lover. She is an indoor/outdoor cat who catches frogs, mice and moles. She once got sick from eating grasshoppers. She isn't exactly cuddly but will seek attention from time to time. More than anything she'll come and sit on us while we watch TV. She'll purr and all but get up and leave if we start to pet her.

Baby is super cuddly. He's our big teddy bear of a cat. He loves going outside but doesn't leave the yard. He prefers just going out on the balcony upstairs and then onto the roof. He won't step foot in the back yard. He is our alarm clock. He wakes my husband up every afternoon at 4 and wakes the kids and I up in the morning. He'll nuzzle us and lick us (ouch!) until we wake up. He has impeccable timing which really surprises us. He always knows when it's time to wake up. He spends most of his day upstairs since my DH sleeps days. He sleeps at the foot of the bed most of the day with my DH. He has taken recently to sleeping with me at nights. He chooses right against my side though instead of the foot of the bed. He loves the algae discs we feed to our bottom feeding fish and he will beg for them when it's time to feed the fish. He has our German shepherd terrified of him. He will hiss and paw at her but I doubt he'd really hurt her.

Peep is our skittish one. As a kitten she accepted and thrived with lots of loving and attention. As soon as she hit the 'teenage' stage she no longer wanted anything to do with anyone. She seemed to be afraid of us for a while even. She came out only to eat and spent the rest of the day hiding out in the play room. At first we thought she was a 'he' (I sexed them early on and could have sworn she was male, later she became so skittish that we couldn't get near her so we never looked again) and only found out different when we took them in to be fixed. We joke that the gender confusion caused the crazy behavior. Anyway, she is coming around now. She spends almost every night sleeping with my 7 year old. The craziest thing she does is lick his head. He will be sound asleep and his hair will be drenched and she will be laying there licking away at it. She's a mess! She is afraid to go outdoors and won't go out often. She enjoys being outside but will only go out if she has an easy way to get back in. In nice weather we will leave the door and screen open upstairs on the balcony for her so she can get out to get a little fresh air. Last week I propped the front door screen open and she went out for a while. If I close the screen she freaks out though. I don't know why she is so timid about the outdoors.

Peep and Baby both love our rabbits. Peep spends a lot of time either IN or ON the rabbit cage. She plays with them when they are out of their cage too. Both cats were super protective of them when they were babies. I worried about the cat climbing into the enclosure with 2 hour old baby kits. I kept goosing them out of there and finally figured mama rabbit would get them if she was worried. Next thing I knew the cats were laying in the nesting box with the babies. LOL