View Single Post
Old 08-25-2013, 01:33 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

I agree with Stacey, not every one can afford supplies, so one of the reasons teachers ask for more supplies than what would seem necessary is because they know not everyone can contribute and they want every child to have what they need despite those circumstances. My husband is a high school teacher and I have lots of friends that are teachers and they all spend a lot of money out of pocket, even with these lists of supplies. For example, most of the books in the classrooms were paid for by the teachers. I made an effort this year to buy several books for the classroom since my son used them all year and surely they are not in as good of condition as they were before. While teachers get paid pretty well in our area, there are many places in the country where that is not the case. That and they are required to pay for continuing education to maintain their licenses, etc ...

.... anyway, I totally agree that the specificity and volume of some things on the list can border on absurd, lol. I'd definitely rather write a check to contribute to the supplies than be expected to find them.