View Single Post
Old 08-26-2013, 01:45 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Our elementary school used to do the packs and I loved it but they stopped a few years ago.

Like others there's always something crazy or difficult to find, this year the item was .77oz glue sticks, 6 or 8 of them and I'm sorry, but $12 worth of glue sticks isn't happening. I was also pissed about the required Twistable Colored pencils.

I don't ever want a kid to do without because their parents can't/won't contribute and I don't like the teachers having to spend a lot of their own money either. I do get irritated though, all the extras ( extra packs, tissues, wipes, sanitizer, Ziplocs etc really add up ). And this is where I put on my flameetardent suit, I kind of hate the way supplies are thrown into a pot, I'd rather donate extras and let my kid have their own. I'll buy my own kid Ticonderoga pencils because they're awesome, they stay sharp, don't break and last longer, but I can't afford to supply the whole class with them and my kids know they better take care of their stuff because that's it.

High school supplies haven't been nearly as bad.

Quote:
Now, some teachers in our high school will offer extra credit for bringing classroom supplies-- like printer paper, cleaning wipes, etc. That's always a nice perk because the students always look forward to extra credit (15 points could mean that you could accidentally forget a daily assignment and it not hurt your grade, or 15 points could help you get THAT much further ahead if you miss a question on a test or something). I ALWAYS advise the students to bring in anything they can reasonably afford to if it means extra credit.
See I don't like that, it rubs me the wrong way. I don't think you should be able to basically pay for extra-credit. There's no learning or effort involved.

Last edited by Keely~B; 08-26-2013 at 01:58 PM.