Thread: How many homes?
View Single Post
Old 04-25-2019, 10:32 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

How many homes did you live in as a child? 2ish

I grew up in my grandparent's home and moved once when I was 10 to live with my mother and her new husband. I lived there until I was 17 and we couldn't manage to get along any longer and then I moved back in with my grandmother. So, technically I lived in two homes until I was 18.

How many homes did you live in as an adult?

Okay, let's see. As a college student I moved every year, I guess I technically that doesn't count... but through my college years I lived in five dorm rooms and for one semester I lived in my boyfriend's dorm room. I spent some summers at my grandmother's, some at my parents, and some transitional time in a trailer in the backyard of my grandmother's house... so that's another seven(ish) domiciles.

I moved to NC after I graduated in 2007 and from '07-'11 I lived in three different apartments. In 2011 I joined the Peace Corps... but wait... I almost forgot, I had a weird gap where my lease ran up but I hadn't received my acceptance letter from the Peace Corps yet so I was medium homeless for a few months. I lived out of my Honda Civic and crashed on friend's couches because I couldn't afford to leave my job yet because I was still paying down debt. I did change my permanent during this time, but I won't count any of these residences. Anyway... In the Peace Corps I lived with a host family for a while and then I moved into my own apartment until I finished my service in 2014. So, that's like five more residences.

I got married while in the Peace Corps and my husband and I moved back to the states and in with my parents (who are still in the same house from 1992) for a few months while we got our bearings and eventually moved back down to North Carolina. We've lived here since 2014 and resided in two apartments.

We are in the process of buying our first home.

SO. Long story short, I too have moved a good deal. I'm quite an adept packer! If I total the numbers I get... 7 apartments and if you count the college years, that's 14 residences since I was 18.