View Single Post
Old 06-10-2016, 02:52 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Hey, girls. Sorry for the long post but I'd like to share my experience. It might be helpful for some of you.
I've been struggling with my weight all my life. I've done like every other diet there is with unsatisfactory and very temporary results -- you know the "yo-yo" effect thing.
I've been doing different diets since I was 14 or 15 years old...I've done super extreme diets like the fruit diet (you're allowed to eat up to 1kg/2.2lbs fruit of ONE kind a day). I think this was the worst and gave me awful health problems like hormonal misbalance, irregular periods, etc.
The one thing that helped me the most (10 years ago) was a very strict diet-fitness regime...like, I was eating only 2 pieces of chicken breasts + green salad (lunch and dinner time). For breakfast, I'd eat a banana and then hit the gym.
For 6 months, I lost a significant amount of weight then (~33lbs; 15 kg) which I gained back too quickly.
Since then I've tried anything with almost no results. The last thing I did was the low carb diet which I was doing for like half a year and lost like...say 10 pounds (5kg).
I felt so down I decided to give up.
Two months ago I went to a new (for me) OB/GYN to seek help for my inability to conceive. The doctor was like an angel sent from heaven for me because she immediately diagnosed me with insulin resistance and told me I couldn't lose weight no matter the diet. I did blood tests and she sent me to an endocrinologist. He prescribed me metformin and advised me to cut the refined sugars (which I avoid anyway) and to cut the white flour products (white bread, pasta, etc) and potatoes because insulin resistance is treated like diabetes. I've been taking the metformin for 40 days now and I'm 22 lbs/10kg down so far which is AMAZING (especially for me because I couldn't lose any weight).
I'm sharing my story because I know there's people who struggle with diets and sometimes diet is not the only key to success.
I'd like to advise everyone who stores weight around the waist, gains weight easily and struggles to lose it, to seek professional medical advise because there might be something you're not aware of.
--
Mama to Albert