View Single Post
Old 07-28-2020, 09:12 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Scary but exciting! What are you going to school for?

I haven't made that kind of life change, but there's a decent chance I will within the next 5 years. (And to make it scarier, I'm about 10 years older than you!) I was a SAHM when the kids were little. By the time I went back to work, DS2's special needs and DH's long hours meant that I had to change fields and work part time. That's still our situation. DS2 is 14 now. He's on the autism spectrum and has speech and writing disorders that will affect him for life. When he graduates, I don't think anyone will hire him even though he's capable of doing the right job. Some special needs parents in that situation end up starting businesses and employing their adult children, and I'm starting to think about whether something like that might be in the cards for us. Ultimately I don't know if anything will come of the idea, but with DS starting high school in the fall I'm starting to feel like we need to think more seriously about his future. I'm also starting to look ahead to a time when I don't need to work part time anymore to make it all work. I like my current job, but I don't want to work in this field full time.
I'm taking a bachelor in English. It seems the bare minimum for people hiring you is a bachelors degree or a masters so I'll just have to start. Eventually I hope to build it into a master, then add on so I can teach, but we'll see what happens.
I hope you can find a solution that works for both your DS and yourself.