View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 11:34 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I'm sorry for all the frustrations! My 16 year old feels your pain on the computer issues. A couple of weeks ago his 1.5 year old laptop started making fan noises that it shouldn't be, so we paid to send it back to Dell and get it repaired. It had been back here less than 48 hours when we realized it wasn't fixed after all and had to send it back. Poor kid! His video game time is about all he looks forward to right now, and he can't even do that! Luckily he has a school-issued computer that he can use for online school, but he's worried that they won't get it fixed right this time either.

Like everyone else, I'm nervous about next school year. I don't see any way they can have 25-30 kids in every classroom all day Monday through Friday. I'm pretty much working on the assumption that there will be some sort of split schedule where kids alternate days. I have no idea what that will mean for my ability to work. I work part time teaching preschool. I have a masters in another field, but because of my 14 year old's special needs I need to work a job that lets me be home when he's home. (Smith-Magenis Syndrome-short explanation is that because of this genetic disorder he's on the autism spectrum, has ADHD, and has sleep, speech, and motor planning disorders. He also has some learning disabilities. His behavior has gotten *so* much better, but he still needs adult supervision rather than a babysitter or older sibling.) The reality is that I earn only a fraction of what my DH does, so financially we'll be okay if I can't go back to work in the fall. We'll need to cut back, but of course others are in much worse financial positions right now. But I do worry about how it will affect my future employability and earnings potential if I have to step out of the workforce again.

I'm also worried about my preschool. We're a small non-profit, and we don't know yet what state or local guidelines will be in place for us and whether we can meet them and re-open. Staffing will be our biggest issue--most of our teachers are parents with school age children and people who are semi-retired from public school teaching careers. A lot of us won't be able to return either because we have kids at home or are higher risk. If the public schools let us know far enough in advance what our kids' schedule will be we might be able to juggle teachers and make it work, but I don't think we'll know until very close to the beginning of next school year.

Gah--I'm trying not to think about any of this. I need to go distract myself with a layout!