View Single Post
Old 01-14-2018, 09:14 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

This is what I have been trying to figure out the past year. I am not really sure. My boss told me on Friday that I missed my calling as a writer. I said maybe I haven't... it isn't as though I can't start writing now.

I was a digi-designer for several years and thoroughly loved it. However, I firmly believe that I have adult ADD and I struggled so much to stay focused when I designed. I would either flit from one thing to another taking forever to finish a kit, or I would hyper-focus on it and hole myself up in my office for so long that I felt like I was ignoring my family. It didn't help that while I was designing my children were young (I started before the youngest was 6 months old). Therefore any time away from them made me feel I was ignoring them.

I took my present job when my youngest started kindergarten. Rather, I took a position at the school I currently work at. I started part time with the intention of designing part time and working part time since the kids were both in school full time. A new position opened up and I was asked to take it. I have been doing that since, this is my 7th year with the school district and my 5th as technology support. As a mom, the hours are great! I work when my kids are in school. There are a few in-service days a year that I work when the kids are not in school, but at 12 and 15 they are old enough to survive at home. I also have 3 months off every summer.

However... I still struggle with trying to figure out what I REALLY want to do! I still very much love design, I love photography, I love writing, etc. Basically I really love creative outlets. Thankfully my job allows me to be creative far more than I could have anticipated. The guy who held the position before me does not have a creative bone in is body. He is extremely left-brained. I worried going in that I wouldn't be able to nurture my creative side. It turned out that I worried for nothing though. Being a creative soul working in a school... well, I have a lot of opportunity to take on creative projects unrelated to the technical side of my job. My boss loves finding new projects for me to take on. I use Photoshop at work more than I do at home these days!