View Single Post
Old 03-25-2023, 10:11 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I started in early 2004. I'd been adding text to photos to remember what my then 4-month old was doing in each photo, but as he got a bit older and did more I found myself wanting to capture longer stories than I could with a few words of text. My first layout was hybrid, and by the second I was all digital. In the early days I was active at Scrapbook Bytes and used Photo Impact to scrap. There was very little available to buy back then--a few people sold CDs with kits, but we didn't have online stores like we do now. I wasn't ready to invest in one of the CDs yet, so I downloaded a few freebies that community members shared (I think that's where the rivet came from) and made everything else (badly!) in my software. That's why everything took so long--we did a lot more by hand, adding things like ink and distressing ourselves in our software. Some of the first people I remember buying from were Gina Cabrera and Shabby Princess. When online stores started I still had dial up. I used to set up downloads to run overnight, and even though they were tiny by today's standards they took hours and hours. I remember seeing all the ads and teasers for SSD before it opened. I visited on opening day and sometimes after that, but I think it was couple of years later that this became my digital home.

Here's my first digital layout:

I had some of the kits in the layouts above--good memories!

Some early sites I remember:

Scrapbook Bytes
The DigiChick
ScrapGirls
Digital Design Essentials (Gina Cabrera)
Designer Digitals
Scrapbook Graphics
Funky Playground Designs (or something like that)
Elemental Scraps
Shabby Princess
Wow, what dedication to stick with it through the dial up (aka SLOW) internet times!! I bet that seems like a lifetime ago!