Thread: RQOTD....
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2019, 04:36 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
Oh my gosh, Carrie, I did the same thing with my son. I was going to look at an apartment and when I pulled up I saw that it was right across the street from a bar. I decided then that I didn't want it, but wanted to at least let the man showing it to me that I wasn't interested.

I gathered all my stuff and shut the cart door. When I went to the back door to get my son, it was locked. So I started digging for the keys in my pocket. Nothing. I searched and searched my purse and the diaper bag and while I did JT was getting mad that I hadn't gotten him out yet and was crying pretty hard.

I went around the car trying all the doors and when I got back to the front, I saw the keys hanging from the ignition. I freaked out a bit because I didn't know what to do.

I went into the bar to use the phone, no cell phones at that time, and asked if they would call the police because I had locked my baby in the car. When I got back outside, JT was having a melt down. It was a hot day and the sweat was running off of him like a river.

As an added bonus, every drunk in the bar came out to either watch the show or try to help me. I had to talk them out of using a brick to break a window and a few other dubious methods that I was afraid would hurt JT.

Finally the cop came with the slim jim or whatever it is called to open the door, but it didn't work. So he called the fire department. They came in the big fire truck with sirens blaring. I swear there had to be about 8 of them.

JT was still having a fit, so while they were trying to figure out how to open the door, they were also trying to decide if we needed to just bust a window to get him out. Not sure if I mentioned it earlier, but I was driving my mom's brand new car at the time and really didn't want to break the window.

The firemen tried all kinds of things and could not get the door open. Just when it looked like they were going to bust the window, one of them suggested calling the car dealer. By now, I was as hysterical as JT because I was sure I was going to get arrested for neglect.

Luckily the car dealer was there in just a few minutes with a master key and opened the door with no problem. The firemen got JT out of the car and checked him over for heat exhaustion, but he was fine.

I asked the cop if I could call someone to come for JT before he arrested me and almost sobbed with relief when he told me he wasn't going to arrest me. He felt so bad that I thought he would. I felt like the worst mother in the world.

After JT was cooled down, we got back in the car and drove home with me still shaking. I never saw the apartment and I never told my mom or dad what happened. They've both passed away since then without knowing. I did tell my son and he thought it was funny. While I can see the humor in it more than 25 years later, it sure didn't feel funny at the time.
Oh my gosh! I can totally feel the panic you must have felt! Man...so glad you didn't have to bust out a window!