View Single Post
Old 02-08-2020, 02:38 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

What in your life do you celebrate? We are SO inconsistent with what we celebrate. We celebrate Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. Those are the only holidays we are guaranteed to celebrate around here. We kind of gave up Halloween as the kids got older. We sometimes do 4th of July up big and other times we stay home and just hang out. We rarely celebrate Valentine's Day. Birthdays are hit or miss. I try to do something for the kids' birthdays but when life is busy and hectic I sometimes forget and we just end up eating out or something. We rarely celebrate my birthday (Valentine's Day) or my husband's (in May). His is right before our anniversary and it is also right around Mother's Day (sometimes ON Mother's Day). We also don't celebrate Mother's Day. We do tend to celebrate Father's Day though. Go figure. May is a hella busy month. There are only so many hours in the day. Who has time? We do celebrate graduations (also in May... see? busy!) and accomplishments.

Do you have a celebration that stands out in your memory? Maybe the last Christmas we had with my grandma... my son was a newborn and it was the last time the whole family (on my side) got together for a holiday.

Celebrating means cake to me, does it to you? Favorite? No. We rarely do cake. We aren't even big on birthday cakes. I don't have a favorite cake. For my birthday growing up I got cherry cheese pies instead.

What was the last event you celebrated (other than Xmas/New Years)? We celebrated when I tested into college algebra. Those are the kinds of celebrations we have more than the traditional ones. My birthday is next Friday. I highly doubt there will be any celebrating. We have to go bowling anyway, not a party atmosphere.

Family celebrations - tell me about one. Nothing particular stands out.

*** I reread this and boy do we sound like party poopers when it comes to celebrating. Before I started working in education we celebrated EVERYTHING. Chinese New Year? Check! Mardi Gras? Check! National Chocolate Ice Cream Day? You bet! Since I've started working at a school I get burned out with all the celebrating. I would love to skip it all to be honest. For example, we used to celebrate Dr. Seuss's birthday with our kids. I loved it. We had a lot of fun. My kids are obviously too old now for that, but I wouldn't have the motivation if I tried because we do so much at work for that entire week that I don't even bother at home. I love where I work but it has sure has taken away my love of celebrations.

Last edited by Sherri Tierney; 02-08-2020 at 02:51 PM.