View Single Post
Old 12-07-2016, 12:00 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashersmommy View Post
How many days do most of your schools go? They just changed ours this year in Michigan and the kids have to be in school 180 days so we had to start earlier this year, so we went two weeks in August which I did not like and neither did the kids.
We have the option here of counting days or hours. Our district used to do days, but a few years ago we switched to hours. I don't know exactly how many days we go now. I think we go fewer days than before, but they also did away with early release Mondays (for teacher planning) so we can fit the same number of hours in fewer days. We also have enough extra hours built into our calendar that we can have something like 10 snow days before we have to start making them up.

We've been starting after Labor Day, but that's going to change in the next year or 2. (Like you, I'm not happy about possibly starting in August.) I've heard a rumor that our end date might stay the same and we'd use the earlier start to allow for longer vacations during the school year. I'd rather do that than just start and end earlier, but we'll see.