View Single Post
Old 03-05-2021, 10:58 AM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

I have feelings about this lol. Like, on the one hand, NOTHING is going to last forever...but on the other hand, there are ways to preserve our memories and our photos that will last longer than others. Even the best archival photo prints may degrade because the way you store prints, no matter how good your intentions, may not be archival.

I print photo books--some from PP--and I don't worry about their archival quality. I don't expect my books to last forever; it would be nice if my grandchildren and perhaps greatgrands could enjoy them, though. Good news is, I save all of my JPGs so if someone wanted to reprint a book or a mix of my pages, then they can *as long as* they have access to my EHDs or to my BackBlaze account, which I have left info about with DH. (My parents have copies of my EHDs; when they pass, I'll give my DS and DD each an EHD with my photos and finished pages on it so that I'll have a backup and they'll have access once I die. As long as they update the tech every once in awhile, those files should last white a long time.)

My photo prints are what I hope last longer than my albums; however, depending on the archival quality of the photo albums I use, the prints may degrade over time. My wedding album that I chose because of the words "archival quality!" splashed on the front is breaking down. Thankfully I got married right as digital SLRs were a thing so I have my digital files to reprint anything I need. If I had been married even 2 years earlier, that wouldn't be the case. I'd be out all of my wedding prints.

Like I said, I have feelings about this lol. As a memory keeper, it's important to me to preserve not just the photo but also the story behind it.