View Single Post
Old 09-01-2022, 02:02 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I have so much trouble committing to things to buy and hang! We end up with mostly family photos because it feels safe and easy--I can buy frames that aren't too expensive and can change out the prints whenever I want. Plus, I feel like you can never go wrong with pictures of your people. I've settled for trying to be a little creative in how I display them--6 traditional frames in the living room, floating frames in the bedroom, metal magnet board collages in the family room, etc. We have our children's birth announcements in shadowbox frames with their handprints in clay in the family room, but I think that falls in the photo category.

Buying actual art or decor intimidates me--I have to decide what would look good, find it at a reasonable price, try to think through if we'll still love it in a few years, and decide if it is current/meaningful/artistic/whatever enough. Somewhere in that list of decisions I give up and do nothing! About 4 or 5 years ago we decided we wanted to buy a long black and white landscape photo for the red dining room. There is still nothing hanging in that room...I can repeat that story for the kitchen and 2 other rooms! Other than photos, we have canvases in 2 bathrooms and a colorful world map in the living room. My kids picked things for their rooms, and I have a few scrapped decor items hanging in our bedroom. That's about it.
I don't think you can go wrong with family photos on the walls and like that you are creative with it.

I think I am an impulse buyer when it comes to decor. I have been known to buy something I like, never hang it up and eventually give it away. I like to change things up too much to invest a whole lot of money though, so these days I try to be less impulsive. LOL