View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 04:16 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Love seeing these pictures, how fun! Let me see if I can get the ones from FB to show up here. I'm feeling kind of lazy right now. LOL

Our girls... Lucy is full blood westie and Jinx is a shepherd mix as far as we know. Jinx came to live with us about 5 years ago and she was full grown at the time. We don't know how old she is or any of her background. She was a stray that hung around DH's work for a week before he brought her home. Lucy has been with us for just over 3 years now. We got her when she was 3 months old. She was a teeny thing weighing in at 4 pounds. Last summer she was up to 10 pounds when we got her fixed, now she's a whopping 13. LOL Jinx went from 40 pounds when we got her fixed to 55 pounds so she's really put on the weight!

Peep. Peep and her brother, Baby, were born to my daughter's cat, Abbie. Unfortunately Abbie turned up missing in September.

Here is Abbie and her kittens. Can you spot Peep? LOL

This is Baby. We kept two of the kittens, much to DH's chagrin. The kids both fell in love with different ones though. I think it was an evil plot. We obviously have fish too. We just acquired 10 new fish for Valentine's Day too. The kittens are much older now. They turned 2 in September.

Rascal was rescued from friends who were threatening to eat her. They bought her for their daughter for Easter and, of course, the novelty wore off soon after. We got her just a day before the kittens were born so we've had her over 2 years now. We 'bunny sat' for her one weekend while our friends were out of state and my kids fell in love.

This is Bitsy. Bitsy is proof my husband is a soft-hearted sucker who the kids have wrapped around their pinkies. We got Bitsy when he was 5 weeks old from a friend who breeds bunnies. He was her only lop ear.

When we got Rascal we were told that it was a male. We didn't know Bitsy's gender at first but after he was a few months old we had a feeling he was male. We put them in a cage built that has a divider down the middle separating them. My daughter forgot to close the top of the cage one night and the next morning we found the two in the same cage. We were thrilled they hadn't killed each other (thinking they were both male, of course). A month later my husband burst in on me when I was in the shower telling me that Rascal was female. I asked how he knew and he said she was having babies. She delivered 10 stillborn kits and we finally knew, for sure, the genders of Rascal and Bitsy. We kept them completely apart from one another after that while I tried to track down a vet that would spay/neuter them. Seems my kids decided they needed a play date though....

Yeppers. Rascal had a litter of 7 baby bunnies. That is how Hunny and Winter came to join our little zoo.

Hunny as a teensy thing. She's our little miracle bunny. She was about 5 weeks old when we woke up one morning to find a huge abscess on her. It ran all down her side. It was as big as she was. We made an emergency trip to the vet on a Sunday afternoon and he spent an hour getting pus and icky stuff out of the poor thing. We've had issues with abscess ever since then and she also has a splay leg (one leg sticks pretty much straight out to the side and she has no use of it, likely do to whatever caused the abscess problem because it wasn't like that when she was tiny). She is quite a bit smaller than her siblings and just the sweetest thing ever. We decided to keep her because the handicap and medical issues would have made finding her a home difficult.

We found homes for all of the rest of the bunnies except one female. We left her and Hunny caged together and soon realized that there was no way we were getting rid of her. Those two are the closest friends. They would be lost without one another. They are so sweet together. So, the bunny was named Winter (since it was winter when we decided to keep her and she's all white) and she became an official member of the family.

So that's my little zoo. We have had turtles (box turtles), frogs, toads and even a snake before. We've also had a variety of hamsters. Right now the kids are begging me to get another hamster, birds and a beta. We have enough trouble keeping up with the pets we have when it comes time to do chores though so we've told them no more until they start taking better care of these leaving mom less to do.