Thread: pet insurance?
View Single Post
Old 04-10-2012, 10:38 AM
The Ghost of Awesome Past

profile gallery send pm

Alisa, I just googled pet insurance and started looking at some of the companies. There are a lot of choices and it seems each has it's supporters and it's haters. From what I'm reading, a lot of the people disappointed in pet insurance companies are upset because they didn't understand the policy they were signing up for. Some policies cover illness care and/or routine care, some don't and only cover injuries. So it's definitely a case of reading as much as you can about the insurance company and the specific policy. I did find out that my credit union has pet insurance available through ASPCA, so their pricing might end up best for us. I believe if I do get insurance that I wouldn't just get injury coverage. I like the idea of it covering illness, because if puppy gets a cold or even something bigger than it would be covered. The iffy part is if I want it to also cover the annual exam, shots, spaying, etc.

I did read Consumer Reports on this and they basically end up saying to just save away money for any pet injuries or illness. Which sounds great in theory I guess. But what happens if we've saved away $30 a month for the vet and then puppy gets hurt and it will cost $1000? If that happens when we only have $90 saved aside, then the savings plan idea didn't really work out well. But like I said, I'm probably an insurance company's dream. LOL