Thread: Summer Plans?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2023, 12:24 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm
Default Summer Plans?

Have you made any plans for the summer yet? I can't believe June is just around the corner. Summer will be here and over before we know it.

This summer my son and his wife will be staying with me while they sell their current home and buy a new one in a different town. They want to sell first, then buy so they don't end up paying two mortgages at any point in time. After being an empty nester for a while, it's going to be different to have two more people, two dogs and three cats in my space.

When they asked if they could stay at my house in between sales, I told them sure, but don't expect me to cook, clean up after you or take care of your pets. My DIL assured me they would take care of everything, which made me laugh because my son does all the cooking and animal caring, and most of the cleaning too. She works long shifts, so he gets home before her and takes care of it all. Not sure how that will translate once he is back living with the woman who took care of it all, all his life. LOL

The other big thing for me this summer is my house. My house has reached the point that it needs some updating, so I am taking my life's savings and investing it there.

I am getting all new windows, including a new patio door, new siding, under which I am adding a layer of plywood for better insulation and sound proofing, (the wind constantly sounds like it is howling at my house and it is drafty as heck) a new front door, new porch supports, having the stone work on the house repaired in places and hopefully putting on a new roof if the money holds out. The contractor is hoping to do the work in July and figures it will take the entire month to do it all.

The thought of putting my life savings towards it is scary, but it needs to happen, so it has to happen. With all the money going there, I will be spending the summer at home with my kids, the two dogs and the three cats. LOL

Feel free to share any plans that you have for the upcoming months.