View Single Post
Old 07-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

First of all, you are a better woman than me... I would kindly say: "no hon, I can't make that cake! Pick again! Love you *kiss, kiss*" LOL!!!

As for my guess on how to make this cake...

It looks to me like they made 2 different kinds of cake. One red velvet cake, separated in 2 8" cake pans (then you could slice each round in half or thirds to make thin red sections). The red is layered with a white cake. It looks like they split the white cake into two cake pans also, with one half of the mix dyed blue with food coloring.

Layer the cake starting with the red velvet since you will have more red than white to work with. After you've stacked the cake, cut a notch in the top outer section equal to the height of your blue cake and (it looks like) about 3-4 inches deep into the cake. Cut a circle out of the inside of the blue cake and place the ring of the blue cake on top of the notched stacked red/white cakes. Ice in between each layer. Looks like LOTS of work.

As for fondant... yeah, it's lots of work. Would he be satisfied with a solid color of icing on the outside of the cake since the inside will be so awesome???