View Single Post
Old 12-30-2022, 09:42 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhartauthor View Post
But I think my favorite was when I took my kiddo to Wakita, Oklahoma. They're autistic and weather is a special interest for them, but also the movie Twister has been a favorite since they were probably too young to watch it. Not long after Bill Paxton passed away, many of the storm chasers in the local community wanted to do a memorial on the property where Aunt Meg's house sat in the movie, and also come down for Wakita's town celebration. They had the Twister museum open, encouraged movie fans and weather enthusiasts alike to come, and really make it a big event to support Bill Paxton, support the movie, and mostly, support Wakita in general (their tourism and commerce). For us, the thing that made the trip special was that it was this major "bucket list moment." We got to see one of the Dorothys from the movie (and a couple years later, actually got to see another one in the Salt Caves in Hutchinson, KS), and a storm chaser was nice enough to let my kiddo look at their radar and climb into the storm chasing vehicle and get a peek at the equipment. They even told them some stories about what it was like to be an actual storm chaser, which was so cool.
That sounds like an absolutely AMAZING time for your child (as well as for you, to see their joy!). I'm trying to figure out how to word this, so I hope this sounds the way I want it to come across: while I am sad for the reason that everyone gathered in Wakita that year (may Bill rest in peace), I am also glad you were able to attend and that your child could really immerse themself in the weather and movie culture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
I think my husband and I would both agree our favorite was our road trip to Yellowstone in 2020 during Covid. It was just amazing, I wouldn't say the food had anything to with it, just seeing so much of the country.

Our most relaxing was a trip to an all inclusive resort in the Dominican Republic in 2016. The food was great, it was so nice and chill, just laying by the pool. We're planning another adults only trip for 2024 for our 20th wedding anniversary.
I like the idea of a relaxing trip! We've done a few all inclusive resorts--all in Mexico, and all pre-kids, so it's been a LONG time rofl.