Old 05-07-2019, 08:13 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Jason-15
Ben-13
Lauren-10

I was a SAHM until Lauren started kindergarten, then I went back to work part time teaching preschool. It's the best of both worlds for me. I get a paycheck, but I'm home any time my kids are. We have the same vacations, snow days, etc. and my hours let me be home until they go to school and beat them home in the afternoon.

I always thought I'd be back working full time by now, but I don't know if we'll reach a point where I can do that. Ben has Smith-Magenis Syndrome, a genetic disorder that includes high functioning autism, ADHD, a speech disorder, a sleep disorder, and more. When he's not in school, I have to be with him. Dan works long hours--he's gone 12 hours a day, sometimes more--and we don't have any local family. Finding good after school care and camps is harder and much more expensive for kids with special needs.
Rachel,

Whereabouts in NOVA are you? We just moved to Springfield in December and don't know anyone yet but I see we have children in the same-ish age range and of course share our scrappy hobby! If it's not crazy far we should totally get together!?!