View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 09:10 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliaM View Post
- When I say I don't particulary care for dogs and I'm then treated as if what I actually said was that my favorite sport is kicking puppies down a bowling alley as hard as I can.
I was just having a conversation about this very thing. And how dog people don't like cat people. Crazy how people can get.

And also relates a little to my rant earlier in the thread. Our first instinct seems to be to make everything somebody else does or says about ourselves, easily getting offended and wanting to defend our position with rational debate or aggressive comebacks. And when it happens online where it is easy to jump in with a "like" or other agreement, the person "guilty" of said belief/action (even though it was NEVER specifically targeted towards him/her) feels vilified and/or ostracized, leading to a lot of other issues. Bandwagon prejudice and hostility is particularly disconcerting for me. It makes me really sad and wish that we could change the way we express our opinions to make them less inflammatory.