View Single Post
Old 04-06-2019, 06:21 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

I know you don't want to switch to chronological scrapping, but I finally did that a couple of years ago and like it more than I thought I would. My main motivation was that I wanted to switch to photobooks instead of single pages. During the sales where Shutterfly gives you "unlimited" pages for free, I can stack promotions and get a 90+ page book for about $60. I couldn't even come close to matching that price printing single pages.

But my tips for sticking with non-chronological scrapping and still making progress...

-Pick a system for dealing with the mediocre photos or less important stories more quickly. (Think pocket pages or one of the many other styles that get lots of photos on one page.) There are lots of things I want in my albums but don't need to devote a whole layout to.

-Decide which pages can be scrapped quickly (maybe in a more minimal style) and which are worth spending the time to make amazing. Then make yourself call those quicker pages "good enough" and move on.

-Be more selective about what gets scrapped. I may know I have 12 nice photos from a party, but if I'm able to narrow it down to 5 my family still feels like it has been adequately documented. (Full disclosure--I'm terrible about this. I'm finding I have to be more selective about which photos I take in the first place, otherwise I scrap too many.)

-Keep yourself organized, either through lists or folders on your computer. I do the folders method. I have a big To Scrap folder. Within that folder, there's a folder for each annual album and each other album (mostly vacation books, for me) that I'm working on. I keep copies of the photos and journaling I need to scrap for that album, and if I know what kit or template I want to use I store that there, too.

-When you're close to the end of an album, focus on just that for a while so you can get it done. For me, there's nothing more satisfying about scrapping than finishing an album!

-Subscribe to newsletters for the sites you print with so you always know when there's a good sale you can take advantage of.

Good luck!