View Single Post
Old 03-02-2019, 03:16 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neverland Scraps View Post
I'm not sure what smart objects are as I've only seen it opening someone else's psd.tiff file. Never on mine.

First, I place all of my papers on my 12x12 layout. Once I know what the layout will "look like", I'll work on my elements.

I open the elements folder and open up everything that I want to work with (ribbons, frames, flowers, paint, confetti, etc).

Once everything is opened, I open up a blank canvas and start dragging things over to cluster. I look back to the paper filled layout to see which directions elements (mostly greenery) need to flow) and I cluster on the blank canvas.

When I like the clusters that I've created, I drag them over to the paper filled layout, filling up the layout. After all of the clusters are in place, I go through my elements again, opening up anything else that I want to use or fill my layout. I place them throughout the clusters.

After papers and clusters are done, I look for my photos to finish the layout. Journaling is last and sometimes a titlework, but titleworks often are created when I'm doing my clusters.
Smart objects preserve the attributes of the layer so resizing, etc doesn't degrade it and you can continue to modify any adjustments, but you can't use tools like dodge/burn on smart object, so the layer has to be converted to a raster layer first. I use them on my titles so that styling is more uniform and I can easily resize all of the letters. You can also consolidate multiple objects/layers to one layer.

What method do you use to drag your elements over where you aren't dealing with a smart object?