View Single Post
Old 11-19-2021, 01:51 AM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

1. Have you been answering the "30 Days of Thanks" posts that our awesome designer Lorie started earlier this month?

I joined in late, but I've been trying to play along. It really helps my attitude, which is something I can struggle with a lot this time of year. Even on a day when I'm having a horrible pain flare or a migraine that's got me laid out in bed, if I adjust my attitude, I can find something to be thankful for. Like the medication that made it better, or the fact I had some time alone, or the audiobook that kept me entertained when I had to be in a dark room.

2. Have you planned your Thanksgiving menu yet?

I keep waiting for the year I get to host a Thanksgiving meal, but it hasn't happened yet. I suspect so long as my in-laws are alive we will continue to travel to Arkansas for Thanksgiving with them. They do a different kind of meal than my family does - usually ham, sweet potatoes, dressing, salad, green beans, cornbread, and pumpkin pie. For me, Thanksgiving isn't thanksgiving without a mound of Idaho Gold mashed potatoes, a thick slice of breast meat off my dad's succulent brined turkey, my mom's handmade yeast rolls, and her to-die-for pecan pie. But that's okay; I focus on conversation instead of the food, and my dad brines me a turkey when we visit either before or after Thanksgiving.

3. What makes the holiday season really special to you?

Some years, I really struggle with the holidays because of our blended family situation and all the stress, friction, complicated logistics, and hurt feelings that get dredged up. It's hard to feel joyful when you bend over backwards and do and do and do out of love, but you're always the last on the list, the "option" instead of the priority.

One year that was really bad, my husband sent me to spend a week in December with my parents, ostensibly to rest, but also to tag along and help on their Santa gigs. First was an elementary school Breakfast with Santa. Those kids were so happy to see him... Then was a private party in someone's home where all the kids were in their PJs, and in we came, and the looks on their faces - it was pure magic. And the next night, we went to the San Antonio Children's Hospital. After reading stories and playing games with the kids well enough to be in the playroom, and an hour of going room to room visiting with the ones who were not, we finished with a visit to the ICU. Ever seen Santa hold an infant hooked up to oxygen and a heart monitor? That ​little girl's mama was so happy to be able to get a photo of her baby with Santa....

That experience was humbling, and positively magical. I've had the chance to do disaster relief work with my Dad through the Lone Star Santas. I've worked with him and my mom at Morgan's Wonderland, the theme park in San Antonio for individuals with special needs. Each time, I've come away with a deep joy, not to mention a renewed respect and appreciation for my parents. They're pretty amazing people, and I'm proud to be their daughter!

4. Are you procrastinating on anything this week?

I've got sewing I really needed to work on, but I had an awful flare that landed me in bed Sunday-Wednesday. (Is that procrastinating? The heart was willing, but the body wasn't cooperative.) I'm hoping to catch up on some of it next week before we leave town, but I'm not super optimistic.

5. What's your favorite LOW calorie snack?

I love popcorn! Also slices of cucumber and low-fat string cheese. Mmm, now I'm hungry...