Thread: I hate cooking
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2022, 03:05 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leablahblah View Post
I enjoy cooking somewhat but I'm usually too lazy so I make super basic recipes or just repeat the same ones over and over. Plus the picky kids...

We usually have
one taco night
one pizza night
one chicken dinner (enchiladas or butter chicken as our go-to)
and then I just wing it and buy another type of meat from the store. Ground italian sausage to make in pasta (sometimes red sauce, sometimes cream)

I rely a lot on canned veggies or frozen because I don't like them going bad in the fridge.

I like my meals to be in one pot. Makes it so much easier for cleanup.
Crockpot, through everything in it and forget about it...
Instant pot soups. So easy.

Super easy Instant Pot butter chicken I make at least twice a month
The enchiladas I usually make

I try to make a new recipe every now and then. I aim for once a week.
I like the idea of specific food group nights. That's a great idea!
Thank you so much for the recipes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knittingbec View Post
I used to love going through cookbooks/recipes, choosing new meals & making grocery lists. That was probably 15 years ago though...now I can't think of many worse ways to spend my time, haha.

2 years ago, I made a set of 'menus' that I just use on repeat.
Each one has 6-7 dinners on it, which usually lasts us over a week once we add in pizza night, leftovers, or any nights out that come up. That gives me a little flexibility with grocery shopping which I need, because sometimes I end up subbing on grocery day or sometimes I just really don't feel like going, haha.
I don't plan the meals for particular days, just depends what we have going on each day, what I'm in the mood to make/eat, or how long the produce is going to last.

On each set of recipes, I try to balance out the protein types (chicken, beef, pork, fish, meatless) and meal type (I would eat soup or pasta every single night ) and I include something super easy "from the freezer/pantry" (tuna helper, frozen nuggets & tots) for super busy nights PLUS one thing I know my kids looooooove, so when they're complaining about how awful it is that I make them eat vegetables, I can assure them that they'll have a chance to eat breakfast sausage slathered in cream cheese & covered in crescent rolls before too long

I have all of the recipes printed, laminated grouped by 'week' & hooked together on a ring, so I don't have to pull books or binders out or go down any internet rabbit holes while trying to find the one I'm using on a particular night.

I have a grocery list for each plan & I just print that out, cross off stuff I already have and/or add anything additional/out of the ordinary.

I started with 3 plans, and now we have 4. When there's something new I want to try, I decide when to try it and if we like it enough to add it to our rotation, we've just got to wait until there's enough new things we like to make a new plan. Then I just make an additional grocery list & recipe group and add it into the cycle.
I love your idea of having the recipes printed and laminated and hooked together, and having the grocery list for each! That's brilliant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherH View Post
I usually let each family member pick one meal they want for the week. Then I fill in the gaps with either tried and true recipes or I may try something new.

Some of their favorites are Ceasar salad with grilled chicken (or salmon or shrimp), This crock pot carnitas recipe, Instant Pot Pizza Pasta, Cuban Sliders, Instant Pot Mongolian Beef, tacos, meatball calzones (I use frozen meatballs, store bought pizza dough, marinara, shredded cheese), General Zso's or Orange chicken made with frozen popcorn chicken with either a store bought sauce or sometimes I make this super easy orange sauce, throw in some broccoli and serve over rice, chicken and dumplings

I usually stick to easy recipes during the week and maybe get into more involved recipes on the weekends. My family seems to prefer the easy stuff though. I also rely on my crock pot and Instant Pot quite a bit.
I tried that, but get, "I don't know". LOL! My mom lives with us and complained about meals. I asked her for ideas and got the same answer! LOL! ...just a little frustrating!
Thank you so much for the recipes!