View Single Post
Old 02-04-2021, 02:39 PM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nesser1981 View Post
It's hard to understand why our lives have changed so much here in Michigan, but the people in other states seem to be going on as though nothing has changed, kids are in school without masks, going out, celebrating with family and friends. While we're here, restaurants recently reopened to in person dining, kids were masks, a lot of schools are still distanced, I'm still working from home, the 17th will be 11 months. Masks everywhere. Large gatherings are discourage. It's just crazy.

And you want to blame people, but you can't, because you know you'd be going on with your life as normal if you lived in one of those places too.
Ohio is a lot like you are in Michigan although you don't hear about it unless you look at Ohio media. National media ignores us unless something major happens.

As for schools, the schools in my area have been in full day learning since August but then I live in a county of about 45,000 people so relatively small. Many of the city schools are remote and the governor's goal is to get all students back to in school learning by March 1st which is why he has put schools in the priority for the vaccine if they want it. It will take 5 weeks for all schools to be seen and my school is in week 5. From the looks of the list they are hitting the remote learning schools first. Also, in Ohio we are still under a no large gathering order for the general population although there are some things that have a little looser restrictions. Our bars and restaurants have been under a curfew for 2 months now and it is finally starting to be loosened a little but only if the number of hospitalizations stay at or are under specific numbers for at least 7 days.

Vaccines for the older population are being phased in with the 65+ age group being the last group to become available starting Monday. Appointments opened up today and my county health department had all available appointments booked in less than 4 hours. I didn't even try to call because I knew they would be slammed. The only good thing is that Ohio is staying at what they are calling 1B for awhile and not adding any more. The governor is concentrating on the general older population after the essential health care workers and nursing homes have been taken care of (Group 1A). Only the schools have been brought into that as well. There are about 2.2 million people in the 65+ age groups in Ohio and the state is receiving about 100,000 to 120,000 doses a week. There just aren't enough vaccines available yet.

Now I will say I am retired so I have been able to stay home during all of this but I live alone so do have to do some things myself like grocery shopping (no delivery here and I'm too picky to order online for pickup). But I have had to put off some major dental work because of all of this. I could have started my whole process last March and been done by Christmas (takes approximately 8 months) but with the pandemic I held off. I couldn't wait any longer so checked into it in October and have finally started the process.

I honestly don't see this ending anytime soon. Wouldn't surprise me if the WHO keeps the pandemic status into 2023. After all the Asian Flu was over 2 years so it wouldn't surprise me if this is the same.