View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 08:33 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KateD View Post
If I were to make a reading goal, it would be simply to remind myself to keep reading. I go through periods where I read a lot and other times (sometimes months and months) where I don't pick up a book. I really enjoy reading, so I don't want to get out of the habit.

If I were to have a reading goal, it would probably be 2 books a month. I don't think I'm going to set a goal, though, because I already have enough other goals and I don't want to make things too complicated.
I think that sometimes it's nice to let things take their natural course - if you feel like reading, read, if you don't, then don't. Even a break is sometimes lovely. If you love reading, I don't believe you can ever REALLY lose the habit. It's a necessity, at least it seems to me. And, as I wrote in my reply to Lex, I went through two periods when I couldn't even look at a written word in my free time. And it passed!

I admit I *do* have one reading goal - I'd like to read more in French. Last year I only read one French book, so if I can find something that appeals to me, I'd be very, very happy. But I won't read French just for the sake of reading in French - I have to like to book, too. For some reason, with French authors I have trouble to find stuff that I truly enjoy.