View Single Post
Old 03-29-2021, 03:56 PM
SugarBabe

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavaDrPepper View Post
It's not the tagging, it is the dumping things wherever unless that isn't what you do. I like everything organized in its own folders. Like I said I do store/designer/kit folders. Alphas for a kit are in a sub-folder for the kit with everything else in the kit in the main kit folder. When a designer moves stores, I move the designer folder to the new store. Easy and still organized.

I use Picasa to view my supplies and I can search without items being tagged. Just the other day I was looking for a rainbow and did a search. Every item that was called rainbow came up in the search. I did try tagging and the amount of time spent on it didn't justify it for me because it isn't how I look for supplies. I am more of a visual person in choosing my kits. Quite often colors motivate my choice.

I think this all goes back to when I first got a computer... DOS was the operating system and everything was by directory. That's how I learned about computers and it has stuck with me for over 35 years.
Tagging definitely requires a shift in mindset! You don't rely on folders, you rely on categories - but conceptually it's the same. There is more flexibility with tagging because a folder (such as a kit) can be tagged for multiple categories. Obviously, if you are super comfortable with folders, you should keep your method - I'm not trying to sell anyone, I just want Mac owners to know it's an option. I don't tag files, only folders. Our designers do such a great job of naming the individual files, it's really not necessary and would be super time-consuming!

When a designer changes stores, you can literally just click on the category, select all and change the tag in one swoop.

This is what it looks like. Favorite tags are on the lower left (customizable) and you can expand for every tag category. I'm clicked on my template category. I selected one Nat's templates so you can see that it comes up with tags for Ponytails, Templates and SSD.

Last edited by SeattleSheri; 03-29-2021 at 09:26 PM.