View Single Post
Old 04-04-2022, 04:43 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJSDesigns View Post
About yourself. And I am not talking anything physical like weight, height, hair color, etc. I am talking about some trait that you possess that hinders you in some way.

For example, with the wisdom of age, I know the one thing that I would have changed about myself is my inability to let things go. I am not one for holding grudges or things like that, but I am someone who holds on to ideas, dreams and people way beyond when I should.

The biggest example of this is my husband. On Saturday it will be 31 years since he died and it has only been in the last 5 to 10 years that I have let him and the hurt of losing him go.

I not only held on to it way too long, but I realize now that I nursed it, because I thought it proved how much I loved him. Why I felt I needed to prove that is a long, drawn out story, but in the end it was just an excuse not to trust my own judgement and risk my heart again. By holding on to that, I didn't make room for something or someone else and while I am happy with my life, I know that I might have had something more if I had just let things go sooner.

When they say the only thing stopping you from doing the things you want to do is you, they were definitely talking about me. It is sad that I didn't see it at the time, but when you are trying to hold on to something that is long gone, you can't see anything else. I know it now and I try not let myself dwell on things, look back too much and not take chances. I am not always successful, because that trait is strong in me, but at least I finally recognize it. It only took me 55 years.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for opening up and sharing this. I've done the very same thing - just can't let go. I would totally change that about myself if i knew how.