View Single Post
Old 10-15-2008, 04:31 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via AIM to Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah8914 View Post
oh wow! I hope the doc you talk to gives you some advice on how to handle it!

now, can I ask you about having your mole removed? my hubby has one he needs removed!
I had a mole (technically a blue nevus) on my hand and the edges started to blur a bit. My doc decided that because I am fair skinned that we should have it removed and biopsied.

He numbed the area and then took a cookie cutter type tool (called a punch) and kind of took a core sample of it.. but it took the whole mole off too. Because it was so small he didnt put a stich or two in it like they normally would.

I worked for a primary doc and watched her perform these all the time. They do it a number of ways. They can freeze it off like a wart... but you dont get a biopsy if you do it this way. They can "shave" it off. Basically they shave the mole to the skin line and they can biopsy that way... and if they need to remove more of it after they get results they can. With a punch they remove the whole thing and biopsy it. If it comes back as something bad they can can tell from the biopsy if they got it all or if they need to go back and remove more.

Mine is prob nothing, but he wants to be safe.