View Single Post
Old 04-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Brodo gettin her Swerb on

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to ColleenSwerb

I devoured this book over the weekend. When I started it friday afternoon, I wasn't sure I was going to like it, or even finish it. But in typical stubborn fashion, I plowed right on ahead and then couldn't put it down!

While I obviously knew about the racism that existed in this country at that time, some of the specifics that were brought up were just incredible to me. I mean, they REALLY thought that black people had different diseases that would kill while people. They really thought that black people were no better than animals. Such a heart-breaking thing to read about it. The book may be historical fiction in the specific stories it told, but I think that the attitudes and beliefs were drawn straight from experience and were true.

I think that Hilly is no different than many women/people in our country today. Stubborn, and unwilling to accept anything as true unless it's written down and proven as fact. Those were actual laws at the time, and that meant they were to be followed to the letter, without question. Thinking about it now, it's very relevant to the times. The same sort of thinking leads to bombings of abortion clinics, and riots over gay rights. (To be clear, I'm not saying anyone who doesn't believe in abortion or gay rights is like Hilly. I fully believe that you have the right to believe whatever you want. Hilly viciously acted out on her beliefs though, that's the comparison I'm making. I hope I don't blow up the book club bringing this up, lol.)

Ok, enough free writing before I get in trouble :P Here are some answers to the questions.
Who was your favorite character? Why?
I really enjoyed Skeeter. I connected to her character on a few levels.

How much of a person’s character would you say is shaped by the times in which they live?
I think a persons character is shaped to degrees by the times/society, and their upbringing and experiences. Skeeter was surrounded by blatant racists, was constantly prodded with racists remarks by her mother who was just trying to "teach her" how it is, yet her love for Constantine crossed that line and showed her that color didn't matter. It's like the old nature vs nurture arguement. It's not one or the other, it's a combination of both. We are all taught things as we grow up, it's once we reach the age to make our own decisions where we can disregard those things once seen as "fact" and form our own opinion.

Did it bother you that Skeeter is willing to overlook so many of Stuart’s faults so that she can get married, and that it’s not until he literally gets up and walks away that the engagement falls apart?
I think we all overlook faults in people. You forgive and overlook the ones you can, and if you can't look past it, you move on. I think it's also important to remember that Stuart was Skeeters first relationship. I think we all do crazy things for love in the very beginning, when we're naive and don't know any better. When we think this is IT, this is true love, this is the only person who will ever know me and accept me. She maybe have been 24 or so, but she was just a teenager really, when it came to that relationship. She didn't know any better. Like Paula said, she was taught that women get married and have kids. She was left by herself at college practically, because all her friends found men and dropped out before they graduated. The combination of feeling desperate (that pressure from her mother!), and just not knowing any better lead them to that moment. I just thank god she had the good sense to tell him the truth, and then accept that he walked away.

Do you believe that Minny was justified in her distrust of white people?
She had no reason to trust white people. They never did right by her (until Celia/Johnny/Skeeter anyway). I don't blame her one bit.

Do you think there are still vestiges of racism in relationships where people of color work for people who are white?
I think racism still exists period. I don't think it's everywhere, or as prevalent as it was, but I think it still exists.

What did you think about Minny’s pie for Miss Hilly? Would you have gone as far as Minny did for revenge?
I think Minny got her revenge in the only way she knew how. I don't know how she could have gotten revenge in any other way. I thought it was hilarious, but I don't think I could ever do the same, lol!