View Single Post
Old 06-09-2019, 12:17 AM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrie1977 View Post
Like Cherry, I'm a little envious, too.

My kids only have my mom and she's not very present. Which is all I've ever wanted or needed from her. It seems because we don't really "need" anything from her we are overlooked.

Both of my husband's parents are gone and didn't have a relationship with us or our children. They were very dysfunctional. My MIL basically died of all the years she was on drugs and alcohol. My FIL lived in the same town and I'd never met him. My husband was raised by his aunt and uncle from about 12 years of age.

My dad hasn't been in my life since I was about eight years old. He's met my children but they couldn't pick him out of a lineup if asked to.

I can understand your feelings though. I just can't offer advice. Haha!
I'm a little envious as well. My mom lives relatively close to us (10 miles maybe, used to be a mile) and we rarely see her. She doesn't have a word to say to me unless she needs something (usually money). She's never been a big part of my kids' lives. She sees them maybe twice a year. She doesn't EVER remember their birthdays or anything. I don't care about gifts. She doesn't even call. Nothing. She is the only grandparent on my side.

On my husband's side there are two sets of grandparents. Both are wonderful, but we live a thousand miles from each set. They are both in opposite directions too, meaning it takes 2 different trips to visit them both instead of seeing everyone at once. We don't get to take vacations often and they don't either, so we don't see them much. They aren't smothering type grandparents either so while my kids know them they aren't really close to them.

I was raised by my grandma so I know that closeness. She was my grandma, but also my mom and my best friend.