View Single Post
Old 01-02-2016, 09:29 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm
Send a message via Yahoo to pewtertm

I have researched both my line and hubby's...I find it addicting. In fact, it's how I spent most of my time on the computer until I discovered digi in '07.

I've gotten my mom's line (confirmed) back to the early 1600s when one of my ancestors migrated from England to Jamestown, VA. We also have an ancestor who was one of the first settlers of Nantucket...hate to say that they basically helped steal land from the natives I have a lot of English lines on that side of the family, with a few Irish and German lines as well. Most appear to have come to the American South in the 1600s, and then moved to Texas in the days of the Republic of Texas or soon after. Mom still lives on the land that our family was given in a land grant back in those days.

Dad's side was harder to find...for ages I could only get to my great-grandparents. I don't communicate with that side of the family, so that made it more difficult. However, one day this summer I decided to do some searches on a great-aunt on that side and was able to get to the info that I needed. She had hired a profession genealogist and I was able to access the records they had located. Woohoo for breakthroughs! That is my Cajun line...family came from France to Nova Scotia/Acadia, and was then forced to move and landed in Louisiana.

Hubby's line has been the most interesting for me. He didn't know that he was adopted by a relative...we have learned A LOT about everyone. I've gotten his maternal line to Russian migrants in the late 1800s.