View Single Post
Old 04-14-2020, 12:46 PM
Sugar Rush

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelsgirl View Post
This is my soapbox issue. Maybe it ISN'T enough from an educational standpoint. But when you have parents working from home, or worse, not being able to work yet stuck at home, and responsible for their own responsibilities (plus the extra amount of housework required when an entire family is home 24/7), asking them to supervise or facilitate learning, administrators need to adjust their expectations. A parent is not a full time teacher, and even if the parent IS a full time teacher, he/she will be expected to facilitate his/her own classes. So how can administrators possibly expect their own teachers to be responsible for a full day's work, knowing that the teachers' kids are at home, too, and responsible for a full day's work. IT IS SO INSANE. Adjust your expectations, schools. Some of us aren't doing okay.
YES!! We're all stressed by the change & uncertainty...and who knows what additional stressors parents (and teachers) are dealing with--finances, lay-offs, parents in nursing homes, siblings stranded on the other side of the world, etc!
Halfway through our 1st week of distance learning, I was ready to quit my job AND withdraw my kids from school! I emailed our admin & said it was too much-- the most important thing my kids are going to learn during the school closure isn't math or reading; it's that our family sticks together, stays positive, shows resilience, and makes the most of a bad situation. And they're not going to get that if we're stressed & nagging about assignments all the time. It worked... my principal backed me & they immediately implemented a plan to bring down the workload---and asked me to send an excerpt of my email in the next school newsletter!