View Single Post
Old 01-18-2021, 04:32 PM
Sweet Tooth

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy_hart View Post
I have a chicken coop....5 hens and 2 roosters.

Not all hens are super friendly, I would research which kind work best for you. My favorite is Ameraucana and Bantam hens. As far as taking care of chickens...SUPER easy! Food, water and shelter. They are really fun animals, I adore mine!
I'll look into those breeds, thanks! We're debating what size coop we want, but we know we only want hens. Do you think having only hens could make a difference in which breed(s) to get?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bienejen View Post
I grew up in 4-H and showed chickens. My mom was later the poultry superintendent for our fair, I'm now the sewing superintendent and my brother just wrapped up several years as the fair board president so feel free to ask any 4-h/fair questions. Joining a 4-h club is a great way to learn! Is your fair a 4-H only fair? I only ask because ours has transitioned to a youth fair - meaning you aren't required to be in 4-h. Some clubs in our area are affiliated with 4-h and some are just 'activity' clubs. Both offer great experiences!
First off, how awesome that your family has been/is involved with the fair like that! Our state fair is open to everyone (I think?) and I can't find info about 4-H events. (The website is confusing, tbh, and I'm waiting on an email from our local chapter. I gave my email address on Saturday but haven't heard back yet.) I do know there is a 4-H poultry club nearby...perhaps I should send an email directly to the leader?