View Single Post
Old 03-15-2020, 11:15 AM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I'm in the Portland, Oregon area. Oregon schools have been closed till the end of March I believe. Daughter's university (UO go Ducks!) went online for finals and will be online for at least 3 weeks AFTER spring break. They'll make further decisions in mid-April. What happens to band students? Music majors? We go grab her today and drive her home. While it will be great to have here for an extended time, I cringe knowing we still pay apartment rent for her, but more cringe because my shy introvert has been so rocking the extracurricular activies at school - she is an accounting major. The child who has trouble talking to people is tutoring accounting, was doing people taxes through a nationwide program called VITA, is a peer counselor for the school with regular hours when she normally meets with students who need advise, and was just elected as vp finance of her accunting club - also another nationwide club or program. So it hurts my heart that she won't really be doing any of that when school starts back up online.

Store shelves emptied quickly around here. I'd picked up extra TP from Amazon a couple weeks ago when I heard that people were beginning to hoard - which I'd also ordered hand sanitizer! Did my groceries very early yesterday at a nearby higher end grocery store - people who hoard ususally do so from less expensive stores so there was no lack of food - though they've been out of the sanitizer in any form for a week already and almost out of TP yesterday morning. I've been slowly buying extra canned and packaged goods the last couple weeks in aniticipation of what might happen and finished my own stock-up yesterday buying twice what I normally might! Of course I'll be feeding my daughter now.

Hubby's work already was adjusted since he has been trying to retire so he is far more home than not anyway. I was about to rejoin WW but that can wait as I'm not going to a group of people and sit next to them all and have just one arrive sick - I'm betting the group I normally go to is now half empty as it was a lot of older people in it. Normally I see a trainer once a week at the gym to help me thanks to disk issues in my back - he told me last week not to hesitate to cancel a session if I was feel ill or uneasy about any of this. He's actually in his late 60's. He had hand sanitizers in his pocket and before each machine we used he rubbed it all over the parts we would touch - brilliant! The gym is a little less crowded. My heart is in debate about whether to go this coming week - sigh.

So we'll all be home mostly. Reading books, watching tv, playing on computers, designing in my case, going out to walk or hike, perhaps doing the workouts at home as I do have equipment, daughter doing some baking I'm sure (yummy but fattening). But the restrictive feel of everything happening really works on my inner claustraphobia!