Thread: total booknerd
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2016, 10:06 AM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misty Cato View Post
Love books. I read all kinds of stuff, but tend toward historical fiction or a good whodunnit.

Kendall, I read March years ago and remember very little of it, but apparently I liked it enough to give it 4 stars. I'll cut and paste my Goodreads review here for you.

From April, 2009: In March, Geraldine Brooks tells the story of the absent father in Little Women. She draws much of her inspiration for the character of Peter March from the journals of Louisa May Alcott's father, Bronson Alcott and several other primary sources. It's worth reading the Afterward to get a glimpse at all the research she did for the book.

The is the first I've read from this author and I really enjoyed her writing style. I was fascinated throughout all of March's Civil War experiences. But by the end of the book I was a little tired of March's constant introspection and viewing the world on some sort of ethereal plain of absolute good and evil. It seemed to me with all he faced throughout the book his thinking would have evolved a bit more. Fortunately there are other characters to bring him back to reality.
Awesome! Thanks for sharing, Misty! You've given me hope.