View Single Post
Old 02-03-2021, 10:51 PM
Jabber-Jawbreaker

profile gallery send pm

Right there with you! My kids haven't been in school for 11 months. They handled it so much better than I expected for so long, but since winter break they've all hit their limit.
Schools are supposed to reopen between late Feb and early March, but we'll see. That's right around the time that they think the more contagious variants will become the dominant ones in the US, so I have my doubts that the same mitigation measures will be successful and schools will remain relatively safe.

DH has been working from home since March. I get a lot less hours than I used to because of the pandemic, but what work I do is also from home. I'm so tired of never, ever being alone or having quiet.

On the one hand, I'm glad to live in a state and county that's taking the pandemic seriously. But we haven't gone far enough. I feel like the governor has given up. His entire focus seems to be on vaccination. (There are other mitigation measures in place, but they weren't increased even as cases soared.) People who are taking it seriously have been living like hermits for almost a year while other people do whatever they want with no incentive to help keep the spread down. I think people are feeling the same all over--the burden of keeping numbers lower needs to be borne more equally than will happen if it's all left to individuals to decide for themselves.

And to add to all of that, I feel guilty for feeling how I do since my family has only been inconvenienced, not devastated by deaths or the financial situation. How much right do I really have to complain?

I'm a preschool teacher, and I read recently that there probably won't be a vaccine for that age group until 2022. Is my school going to stay closed at least another full year? And whenever we do reopen, it's going to be with kids who literally have no memory of life before covid. Some of them won't have been apart from their parents ever. Some won't have played with anyone who isn't a sibling in their entire lives. I can't even imagine how we're going to help entire classes of kids deal with that reintegration--for all that older kids and adults are looking forward to it, I think it's going to be scary and traumatic for the youngest kids who are living a "normal" life for the first time.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited by rach3975; 02-03-2021 at 10:58 PM.