View Single Post
Old 01-26-2013, 10:12 PM
Sweet Shoppe Designer

profile gallery send pm

I am probably the odd one out, but I do things much differently. Our kids don't have their own albums!

When I started digital, I quickly realized that one of the big advantages of digi is the ability to print multiple copies of the same layouts. However, I also know that at this point in our lives, there is no need. We all live in the same house and can enjoy the same albums. So, we ONLY have family albums. No matter what kind of layout I create, I add them to our family albums. I don't scrap chronologically, but I do put them in our albums chronologically. Each year has 1-2 albums and as I scrap them, I add to the appropriate album.

With five kids (and one on the way!) there is no way I could or would do individual albums. Right now, these pages are the story of our family, not about an individual. Yes, there are pages that are just about one child or another, but that individual story/layout is part of the larger story of our family. I want our kids to see us as a unit rather than as a bunch of individuals.

Now, as our kids get older and move out of the house, I am happy to print any any all layouts that they might like to keep. I am sure they won't want all of them, so we can just go through and choose the ones they want to create a custom album(s) for them. My guess is that it will be mix of pages about them and pages about life as a family and with siblings.

It works for us...it accomplishes the goal I have of telling the story of our family and the people that are part of our family. Each one is prized and cherished, just as are the relationships between us.