View Single Post
Old 06-14-2022, 08:36 AM
So Sweet

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
I love history and science museums, but you couldn't drag me to an art museum! Living near Washington, DC we have the Smithsonian and a lot of smaller museums. We're spoiled by the Smithsonian because they're free to get into. Although we love visiting museums when we travel, they often seem so expensive!
I went with my Dad to his Navy reunion in DC back in 1996. On the one free afternoon we had, we made it a point to go to the Smithsonian Air & Space museum. Mainly because of the history of the space program and how it is all around us in Wapak. But one of the other exhibitions caught Dad's eye and he actually had a tear coming from his eye because of it. It was where you could watch the newsreels that had been shown before movies in the old days. One selection was the "Battle of Leyte Gulf". He pressed the button and we watched. We were quiet and then he said "That's when Hank died". Hank was his brother that was killed during that battle when his ship was hit with debris from the carrier Princeton that was on fire. Then the tear came. Very powerful moment for me since I got to share it with my Dad.