View Single Post
Old 03-26-2021, 03:29 PM
Sweet Tart

profile gallery send pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rach3975 View Post
Before you return the Asus, have you tried calibrating the display colors? There are built in tools in Windows 10 to do it. If the problem is due to the laptop being shipped with some sort of vivid settings turned on (best for movies and gaming), then you might be able to fix it with calibration.
I tried all of the calibration tools and it didn't make a difference...other than making me feel like I was losing my mind. I ended up doing a bit of research on the particular Asus model I got and everything I came up with said that the display on it just doesn't have a big enough range of colors. According to one of the reviews, it's limited to 53% of the sRGB color gamut. That meant nothing to me but it also came with nifty diagram showing the range of colors the human eye can see. It then overlayed an outline of what of that is in the sRGB color gamut and then another outline of what the display on the ASUS could show. Based on that, it looks like it literally can't show red as red.

I've got a consultation appointment at Best Buy tomorrow to return the Asus and look at something else. I've been doing a lot of reading on different laptops and I really, really think I'm going to go with the HP Spectre. I found a couple of different reviews saying it's one of the best for photo editing and it covers more than 100% of the sRGB color gamut. According the Best Buy app, it also looks like they have some in stock at the store I'm going to, so that's a bonus if I can leave with it in hand. *fingers crossed*

I want to thank everyone who's offered ideas. I really, really appreciate it!