Thread: Girl Scouts?
View Single Post
Old 09-19-2009, 10:48 PM
Sweet Talker

profile gallery send pm

Kaylie is a 2nd grader this year so she is a Brownie now, but she was in Daisy's for both kindergarten and 1st grade. Her first year the troop was very disorganized, I think the registration fee was $10 that year and then the parents took turns sending snacks so the $$ outlay was minimal. That year they met one day each week after school for an hour.

Last year her troop was taken over by two awesome leaders, the yearly registration fee is now $12/yr and then their troop dues are $25/yr. For the uniform we had to get a tunic or vest (Daisy's), vest or sash (Brownies) which costs around $25-35 for that and all the starting badges, pins etc. They meet every other week for an hour and then they try to schedule one field trip or special activity per month.

Also in our GS council there is financial aid available for uniforms, dues, etc for those that need assistance paying. All you do is fill out a form and turn it in to the council and they take care of paying, so that may also be available in your area. Our girls do two fundraisers, the Fall Opportunity Sale which is the nuts and candies and then the cookies in January or February I think. The girls and the troop earn cookie credits for every box sold, then you can use those credits for troop dues, uniforms, camp fees, etc. Last year Kaylie sold just over 100 boxes of cookies and earned $40 in cookie credits which almost completely paid for her summer camp dues, I only had to pay $10 oop for her 3 day camp!! So the more you sell the more credits you can earn, and they can be carried over to the beginning of the next year too.